As a carer, you have rights and entitlement.
Let your someone in your practice team know that you are a carer.
You will be coded/ registered as a carer on your medical record. The benefits of doing this are;
- GP staff are aware of your caring role, your limitations accessing appointments and can make a note of times you are available to access appointments
- free annual flu vaccinations, to protect the health of the person you care for, and to keep you healthy and able to continue caring for as long as you want to
- health and well-being checks
- consent to share data with the person you care for can be discussed at an earlier stage
- communications will be sent to you about local carer services and carer drop-in clinics
- access to your patient participation group, giving carers a voice to influence change within your practice
- access to a designated ‘Carer Champion’ based within your practice
- discussions around how involved you could be in the care planning of the person you care for
- signposting to useful information and advice
- appointments at more convenient times
*Ask your practice to register you as a carer. The person you care for does not have to be registered at the same practice, the person you care for does not have to be informed that you have registered as a carer.
*Remember to let your practice know if you are no longer a carer
If you or a carer you know have any specific information or communication needs and require information about our services in an alternative format please let us know. Contact us on 0115 962 9310