If you are an unpaid carer ( this includes if you are in receipt of Carers Allowance) then there are lots of benefits to letting your GP know. These include;
- Many GP practices now have a designated ‘Carers Champion’ which you can access
- Practice staff will be aware of your caring role
- Signposting to useful information and support
- Providing appointments at convenient times
- Providing free annual health checks and flu vaccinations for you
- Asking the person you look after permission to share appropriate information with you
- Involving you in the care planning of this person
- You may be invited to join the practice patient participation group (PPG) so you can have your say about services
- Being kept up to date about relevant events via SMS messaging.
Contact your local GP practice and ask to register as a carer and for access to your carers champion.