City & Guilds Award/Certificate/Diploma in Independent Advocacy
Carers Federation became an approved centre with City & Guilds in January 2010 to deliver the training and assessment candidates require in order to become qualified advocates. We are now one of the main providers of the qualification in England & Wales having supported hundreds of individuals through to becoming qualified.
About the qualification
In Independent Advocacy you act as a voice for older people, people with disabilities or anyone else who needs support to empower them to make their own choices and have their needs respected.
The Level 2 Award and the Level 3 Certificate/Diploma in Independent Advocacy are the only nationally recognised qualifications that allow advocates to externally validate these skills. The qualifications were first introduced in the advocacy sector in March 2009 to develop national training as part of a drive to improve standards and consistency across advocacy provision.
The qualifications were developed in collaboration with the Department of Health and are designed to:
- Help advocates learn more about how to represent an individual’s interests and how to support them to interact with other individuals, organisations and agencies.
- Reflect best practice within advocacy – the qualification itself has been updated and revised as recently as February 2013
- Provide commissioners of advocacy services with a quality benchmark to improve tendering process.
The qualifications have been newly updated and revised in February 2013 and enable independent advocates to learn, develop and practise the skills required.
Who the Qualification is for:
The stepped nature of the qualification makes it ideal for anybody interested in learning more about Advocacy. Clients we have supported to date include:
- Individuals interested in working in Advocacy
- Workers looking for an introductory award who may have just started to work in the sector
Professionals who use advocacy skills as part of their role
- Existing advocates
- Professionals who use advocacy as part of another role
We welcome the opportunity to discuss the qualification and your requirements with any individual or organisation who would like to undertake the training and assessment through City & Guilds with our centre.
Please contact our Andy Perrey (Training Manager) on 0115 962 9362 or by e-mail at email@example.com