Our service offers up to 26 counselling sessions (18 as an average)- This can be extended after review and assessment of ongoing need.
Our counsellors work a non directive integrative way, seeing the core conditions of person centred therapy as a necessity within their therapeutic relationship.
We have defined a flexible structure which consists of three stages:
The First stage – weeks 1-4 – Relationship building – Information Gathering:
• Exploration of the basic history relevant to the situation.
• Building a relationship based on the core conditions.
• Exploration of how has conditions of worth been conceptualised within the present disruption.
• Exploration around clients self concept
• Exploration of Where is the client’s locus of evaluation.
• Exploration of client’s previous coping strategies
The Second Stage – weeks 5 -14 – Psychological Contact.
• Re-focusing the locus of evaluation
• Exploration of insecure relational attachments.
• Exploration of characteristic behavioural patterns.
• Recognition of a movement in Psychological and cognitive processes
• Beginning to take ownership of feelings – Developing an awareness of incongruence’s.
• To begin to re-assimilate experiences and integrate them more fully into awareness.
• A movement towards autonomy and self determination.
• A re-evaluation of their true potential within the situation.
• Development of management of own depressive symptoms.
The Third Stage – weeks 15-18 -Final sessions – often fortnightly – can be extended if assessed as appropriate
• Consolidation of movement /skills/clients management of their own depressive symptoms.
• Clients movement in locus of evaluation (external to internal if appropriate)
• Movement towards a more fully functioning way of being
• Recognition of support networks/support in a crisis
• Celebration and reminder of client’s movement towards autonomy.
• Recognition of the ending of therapy.
Our Expectations of New Volunteer Counsellors in Training
• You will need to have completed at least 180 hours of counsellor training.
• You need to be on a course that requires a minimum of 100 hours placement.
• You need to have a supervisor approved by the Carers Federation Ltd, funded by c yourself.
• You need to be able to commit to a minimum of 2 hours at the beginning of your work with us, leading to 3 to 4 hour commitment.
• After your first year, and internal training, there is an expectation that you will undertake some work with young people as required.
• All counsellors require DBS check before commencing work with clients.
• Attendance at monthly team meetings is a necessary part of your personal development and commitment to the team.
If you are interested in finding out more about a counselling placement at the Carers Federation, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0115 962 9310.